Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Judge not, lest ye be judged

If you want a laugh a minute, watch the questioning of Sonia Sotomayor by the right wing D.C. Republicans or what is left of them. It will thoroughly piss you off. It reminded me of a quote in my high school yearbook, to the effect that you appear to be intelligent until you open your mouth and speak, removing all doubt. If there was any question of the racism and misogyny rampant in the Republican Party, all doubt has been removed. Let me start by telling you that I don't consider myself a feminist, but rather a humanist. I believe that every human being rises or falls by the quality of their own abilities. Sex or gender should never be part of the equation. One thing I can state unequivocally, when Judge Sonia Sotomayor answers these dolts questions, she is clearly the most intelligent person in the room. Don't they love to posture and preen and play to their base? Obviously, they don't have any respect for the intelligence of the American citizen they claim to represent. If their base is as ridiculous as their representatives views and questions, then they got the representation they deserved! There are plenty of phony intellectuals in that bunch. It makes me wonder if they have ever read a book, or if they just parrot what the Republican political advisers tell them to.
Judge Sotomayor is a nicer person than I would be. If I were being questioned by those supercilious SOB's I'd have smacked a couple of them already. Do they really believe that the sun rises and sets on and in their bigotry? Judge Sotomayor will be an excellent Supreme Court Judge, at least she remembers what it is to be a common citizen with an uncommon aptitude for justice. Justice may be blind, but she's not stupid. I hope every person who displayed their ignorance and prejudice in these hearings will be sent packing by the voters in their home states next election cycle. Surely there must be better representatives than that in each respective state. One can only hope.

No comments: