Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Letter to President Obama: What In Hell Are You Thinking!

As we all know by now you,our president, have decided to send 30,000 more military troops to Afghanistan. Is there any way I can get my vote for you back? During the run-up to your being elected, you spoke mightily about so many things, change, hope, accountability,respect, among others I won't list. What has happened to you? I feel rather stupid for having voted for you and can only rationalize it by realizing that 69,498,214 voters made the same mistake that I did. We all drank the Kool-aid you dispensed with your wonderful speeches. After 8 years of the Bush/Cheney debacle, I dared to hope again. I divorced the last man who deceived me, but how do you divorce a president?
Lest you think that I'm being petty, you have done a lot of small things rather well since being elected. However, on the big things, you are batting zero. Talk is easy, action is what is called for.
How could you have possibly missed what the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center report that said 43,000 of our troops were considered nondeployable 3 months before shipping out to Iraq? How could you have possibly missed the statistic, also from Army stats, that 12% of our combat troops in Iraq and 17% of our combat troops in Afghanistan are taking antidepressants or sleeping pills to help them cope? Or the fact that over 300,000 of our troops suffer from PTSD or major depression, and over half go untreated!
The incidence of PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injuries have increased from 38% to a whopping 58% since August of 2008. There were 128 officially listed suicides in 2008 and are on track for an increase in that number in 2009. That's not counting military suicides after leaving the services, nor is there an accurate count of spouse and child abuse by service men and women by veterans of both war theaters. How can you send 30,000 more troops into the meat grinder, when the ones who are serving there now are not being dealt with fairly? I know, you inherited a lot of these problems from the previous administration, but you were voted in so that there would be changes made. You didn't tell us the change would be from bad to worse! The decision to send more troops to Afghanistan is all yours now. You no longer have my support, and I'm not sure how many of the 69,498,214 other citizens who voted for you support you in this decision, but I would guess you don't really care. I can't speak for the others, but I will personally hold you accountable for each and every death which occurs in both war theaters. This is not to say that I won't support you on some things, but I truly believe you have been swayed by the military-industrial complex. I won't even go into things such as health care and the economy, because I already understand that a foreign country takes precedence in your priorities over that of your own. Our nation is the one that needs rebuilding, and our military troops have been misused and abused and deserve to be treated better than they have been by the government they served.
You, Mr President, are a major disappointment. What in hell are you thinking? Some CHANGE!

No comments: