Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year, New Possibilities, Old Lessons

As I usually do this first day of the new year, my mind has been busy rerunning old memories of lessons learned. These are personal memories mostly, but a few are pertinent to the political arena. I have been really down in the dumps recently as I have watched how our career politicians have screwed up everything they touch. They have perfected the Midas' touch in reverse, every thing they touch turns to crap! I had pretty much given up my belief that a single person could have any effect on them. Each time I thought about the events in the year just passed, I came closer to political despair. My ever so slight faith in political saviors was demolished. A presidential candidate was elected by a huge majority (my personal vote included) and after a few hopeful signs, he elapsed into just another run of the mill politician. Oh woe is me!
One thing my romp with memories teaches me every year, whether personal or political, is that each mistake we make teaches us to be just a little bit stronger person. I never lost my faith in myself, just in politicians! I suddenly realized that I wans't going to be deterred in my challenge to myself to make the world a better place. In other words, I scaled back my efforts to change things on the national political level, and have instead decided to give it my very best to do what I can in my own community. My area of interest is in helping people to live healthy lifestyles, aided by good nutrition. I am an avid gardener, so I plan to use that to help make changes in young children's lives. This coming summer I am going to teach kids how to grow a garden. If there is no room for me to volunteer at the new Community Garden, I will find some volunteers through the local community and teachthem here in my own yard. Now that I have made this decision, the possibilities are endless. If I can teach one child how to live a healthier life through good nutrition it will be worth the effort.
Does that mean that I will no longer be following the political arena with an endless obsession? Oh hell no! I will still lambast every crooked politician who crosses my line of vision. I'll still be hitting my head against that old political wall, but I will balance that out by rounding out my hopeful side with a little youthful enthusiasm digging in a garden with me. Thinking about that possibility makes me already feel a lot more hopeful. New year, new plan, endless possibilities! If you want to join me, we will make the world a better place, one kid at a time. Who knows, maybe it'll make a difference!

No comments: