Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Goodbye 2010 Blues

I really can't wait for 2010 to be over! Ten more days, and it seems like a lifetime away. As a person who has been alive for 67 years, I can't remember ever being as disconcerted by the world of politics as I am now. In a previous post I explained how the national political parties had morphed over the years into unrecognizable monsters...enough to scare anyone out of their wits! Not only are they much different than they were when I was a young woman, but they have both become hardened to the suffering their posturing and faux promises causes the ordinary citizen. I know it has become popular in America to become successful, i.e., rich, but even when they are rich beyond anyone's wildest dreams, it is still not enough for them. It seems that they want to rub our noses in it, as if to say they have it all and we don't deserve any!

Just two years ago, I had hoped to see the Employee's Free Choice Act have a chance to be passed into law. Now, I realize that it'll never happen without the plutocracy's permission. I didn't even want it for myself, as I am retired and thankfully have a pension earned while working through a union to ease my retirement years along with my Social Security. No, I wanted it for all the lower class, who work for employers like Wal-Mart and Home Depot and all the corporations who suck out the life blood of working men and women for a less-than-living-wage! Hell, not only that, but most jobs now have no pension, no benefits and no protection in the workplace from abusive employers. The plutocrats have instigated their workers into even voting against their own personal interests in favor of the rich getting even richer. It's long been my belief that if a person is working 2, 3, or more jobs just to feed a family and keep them sheltered, they have NO time to realize that they have been used and abused by the very people they are employed by! Not accidentally either...the Chamber of Commerce and their ilk promote low wages and miserable living and working conditions on purpose...after all, masters have to have slaves, otherwise how could they be masters? Everything I read and learn about confirms that the ruling class thrives on ruling, they must be superior and the working class MUST be inferior.

Almost everything in the news media reaffirms this! Those people who are receiving unemployment benefits are just being spoiled, if they really wanted to work they'd take a minimum wage job flipping burgers! The children brought into this country as babies when their parents crossed the border looking for a better life are being punished for the "sins" of their parents, even though they have no idea that "The American Dream" doesn't include them! That is, unless they serve in the military and get shot at or killed, then they are useful! Each time I hear a politician say the phrase, The American people want!...it makes me wonder just how they know what we want because they never consider us when they make their laws. Laws to keep us in our places. Under their thumbs. Disconcerting, isn't it?

Homeless, jobless, hopeless...how much more can the lower class, the working class in this country take? I saw a piece in the New York Times about how wonderfully happy all the Wall Street money makers are to spend their bonuses on fun things like jewelry and world vacations. The poor people who work at one of the big box stores need to use food stamps despite being employed 40 hours a week... or the food bank so they can have a decent meal for Christmas. There are a lot of Tiny Tims out there this year...unfortunately, they are outnumbered only by the Scrooges. Unconscionable! Bah! Humbug!

No comments: