Sunday, December 12, 2010

Pondering Our Political Pandering

Since I last posted, it seems like all hell has broken out on the political front in the old U. S. of A.! I have to admit, I think Wikileaks has done a masterful job of outing the hypocrisy of our political establishment. Nothing hurts more than the truth. If our government did even half of the good things in the world that they publicly profess to do, it would be a mighty fine country! When all the crap they have caused and/or instigated comes to light, they fall all over themselves blaming the messenger again, as usual. There's not an ounce of common sense or shame for what they have done, no, instead you hear the know nothings repeat the same old national security mantra to try and cover their own asses! I've said it before, and I will say it again...Julian Assange, an Australian citizen, is more patriotic and deserving of recognition than any politician we might have in our country. I don't know who has given him the information that he has dispersed, but if it was Bradley Manning, an American service member, then he (or whoever it was) deserves to be exalted as a visionary! You hear everyday on the news media that we live in a free country, where freedom of speech is a right...then in the next breath they holler because someone actually spoke the truth! Mind you, most of the pundits on the news wouldn't recognize the truth if it reared up and bit them one the ass, but you know what I mean, two faced as can be!

Now, my next thought...if we had wanted to have the Republican Party make all our national decisions for us, wouldn't it have made more sense for us to elect dried out old John McCain as president instead of who we did elect, President Barack Obama? So, you agree with me! The question of the day is whether or not President Obama is strong enough or angry enough to be the leader of the United States? Let me qualify this by saying that he got my vote, mostly because he said he would work for the common good and get out of Iraq and, most important of all, do something about the health care costs, make sure that insurance companies were facilitating good health care for the exorbitant premiums they were charging. Did it happen? Not quite!

We still have lots of military troops in Iraq, even though we are told that it is "winding down". Most of the troops brought home from Iraq were sent to Afghanistan for a "surge" while also assuring us that they would be brought back in 2011, than later, 2014. We got a health care bill, of sorts, without a public option which would have lowered costs dramatically, and while it does some good things, they are not going to all go into effect for several years. Drug costs are going up rather than down, because negotiating was deemed out of the question. Some days I have to pinch myself just to be sure I haven't entered some parallel universe by mistake!

I know that half a loaf is better than none, but when you have to borrow the money for that half a loaf from China, what exactly are you gaining? Our jobs outlook is so dreary that it makes me grateful to be retired, I may not be rich, but I can afford to live and eat. However not all my fellow countrymen/women are so lucky. I will never understand how a country can keep borrowing money for engaging in war when the populace needs to rely on food stamps. Doesn't make a lot of economic sense.

Adding insult to injury, now the President wants to keep the Bush era tax cuts for the wealthy in exchange for an additional 13 months of funding for unemployment benefits. I don't pay a lot of taxes these days, my income is pretty low, actually poverty level...but I would rather see all the tax cuts expire at the end of December, than see one more iota of wealth go to the people who selfishly brought us to our knees.

It is my fervent belief that we common folks need to strip all politicians of their pensions, their paid health care, their huge salaries, their franking privileges and make them all work for a minimum wage, just like they expect us to. Oh, and while we're at it, how about they work a full 40 hours a week with no paid vacations and have to punch a time clock to prove that they are actually at work? It's what they want us to do! Politicians....pooey!

No comments: