Saturday, January 1, 2011

Social Security Reform Well Explained

Yesterday morning, an article in the Daily Rocket-Miner caught my eye. It was an unusually well done explanation of how Social Security benefits are accrued and received. The research was attributed to the Urban Institute. Since I'm always curious about the source of statistics I read, I went to the website for the Institute and was amazed by what I found. It was established during the administration of President Lyndon B. Johnson so that there would be a non-partisan, non-governmental agency which would study the effects of poverty, along with all the things which effect citizens across the nation.

Here is the website address: http://www.urbaninstitute.org. It is a treasure trove of information not only about Social Security reform, but on just about every subject that a person needs good, valid and non-partisan research for an informed opinion. Videos are available and many articles to browse in each category. I lost track of time while reading and absorbing so much good information. Many of the suggestions that I read about Social Security reform were an eye opener to me. I must admit, it made me rethink some of the ideas I had held about the proposed reform. Since I am a great believer in everyone educating themselves and forming their own opinion, please check out the website and see what you think!

In my opinion, if our government were to implement this blueprint for reforming Social Security, the benefit to citizens would be very beneficial. Again, this is strictly my opinion, so see what you think.

In these days of everyone taking as gospel what every right wing or left wing pundit spews forth in the media, it was enjoyable to find such a good source of non-partisan research. I also like the regular Social Security website, I figure if you want information go right to the source! It surprises me how few of the recipients of these benefits really and truly understand them. I made sure that I researched all the sources of information I could find prior to filing for my Social Security benefits, I always figure forewarned is forearmed! I have had really good visits with my older friends, which were almost like a tutoring session, because they hadn't done a little investigation on their own. Like I said, forewarned is forearmed, especially when it comes to money issues.

I hope this has helped you to decide to educate yourself on retirement benefits. Planning ahead can mean that you have a more secure life when you do retire. I know that young people are very busy with their lives, but believe me, the time to plan your economic situation is when you are young, Don't wait for old age to hit you in the butt, do it now!

No comments: