Sunday, February 13, 2011

Egypt, Freedom, Facebook And Letters To The Editor

It has been almost two weeks since my last post, and what a time period to be alive in! The people of Egypt managed to throw out a dictator who had ruled them with uncompromising cruelty for 30 years. Not only that, but they did it despite being set on by his thugs, by peacefully occupying Tahrir Square 24/7. Their courage and passion was a sight to behold. Their freedom was so important to them, that even though more than 300 of their fellow citizens were martyred for the cause, they never budged from their demands. Joyful in their victory, it was inspiring to see that when it was all over, they got together, and with brooms and cleaning products brought from home, cleaned Tahrir Square with an abundance of civic pride. Absolutely amazing! I have been glued to Al Jazeera following them with such pride in their accomplishments. Maybe there is hope for the people of our United States after all...if only they would follow the Egyptian people's example! I was touched to be asked to be friended by a 16 year old young man from Cairo on Facebook after I had posted my congratulations to the Egyptian people on the Tahrir Square site. Even more surprised to receive a request for friendship from a young person from Nepal...I think the whole world was rooting for all the people of the world to come together as a family. Sure made me feel connected!

I have been busily preparing a letter to the editor of the Rocket-Miner, in response to a woman who wrote a letter about illegal immigrants and people wanting handouts abusing Social Security. I finally got it written out by hand, double spaced and signed and will submit it tomorrow when I go to the paper to pay for my subscription. Hopefully, the young woman will read it and find out that she was badly misinformed...if not, I tried! Unfortunately, in America today, people's contempt for government prior to investigation of the actual facts has become the rule in our political discourse.

After I finished the letter, I happened upon a quote from A. A. Milne which I would like to share with you. I read it in The Week magazine and here it is: "The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. A first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking." I aspire to be a first-rate mind...only time will tell! Anyway, the quote seemed to fit the situation perfectly!

No comments: